A Bible and a Casserole


     About two years ago I bought a brand new, could still smell the leather, gold embossed study bible.  It is a great study bible with more references than I can read.  It just so happened that I received that bible on Saturday and I spent several hours that day perusing its pages looking at all the maps, indexes, study notes and so on.
     On Sunday morning right after Sunday School I approached my pastor, Brother Johnny Witherspoon (a very good teaching pastor) #@cooperfbc.com and holding my brand new bible high, I jokingly pronounced, "Look here Brother Johnny, I've got a brand new bible that even has my name on it.  It's for sure I get into heaven now." Brother Johnny just gave me a smile so slight that I could almost see his mustache move and said, "Yep, Monty, that and a casserole and you are in." 
     We were both joking and we both understood that.  But as time passed and I read different articles from other churches, as I talked to people from other faiths and as I studied a little more (especially recently with my family as we study the seven churches of Asia) it became clear to me that this was a teaching point that I have overlooked for a couple of years.

     Performing pulpit supply, teaching Sunday School and morning men's groups, I have often wondered what it is that attracts some people to a particular church?  I have asked quite a few people and I frequently get responses like, "I just love the music!" or, "My kids really like the kid's groups". 
     In my, sometimes lonely, way of thinking, those are valid reasons for liking a particular church.  But should that be the reason for attending that particular church.  It is great to love the music, but what about the gospel or the teaching?  Should the music receive a higher priority than the Word of God?  Children's groups are vitally important in bringing up our children in the word of God.  But have you checked out those groups to see if they are actually teaching the gospel, or are they just social groups where kids can talk or entertain themselves on social media?  Does the facilitator engage with the kids?
     Do we choose our churches because we like to tap our foot and clap our hands as we sing along or because the kids are entertained for an hour?  Allow me to repeat myself, it is important that we enjoy our music and the kids enjoy their groups, but if the teaching of the gospel message is the absolute most important part of church, and it is, shouldn't that receive at least an honorable mention?
      Are we looking for a good church casserole to make the rest of the service palatable?  If we are, is it because we have never had or maybe lost our zeal for the living water?
     If you have never had a real thirst for the living water, may I advise you to spend a little time alone with our Lord Jesus?  Or maybe seek out a bible believing church and find out what this living water is all about.
     If you are already a believer in the saving grace of God but have lost your fire for His word, may I suggest you return to the scriptures and spend some time, regularly, with just you the word and Him.  If this proves difficult, seek assistance from your pastor or church leaders.
     The love of Christ for us and in us is all we really need to sustain our spiritual souls until that great day when Jesus calls all the believers home.  Don't go looking for casseroles, look for Jesus.

Comments

  1. Some interesting points and perspectives to consider Mr. Monty. Do we choose to go to a particular church because that's where our customers go? Or perhaps, we go because that's where our family's friends go. I too think that the real questions we need to ask ourselves is does ourselves is:
    1) Does our church teach God's word?
    2) Does our church live out God's word in the lives of its members and our community?
    3) Am I, and my family, growing in Christ's knowledge, understanding, and wisdom? Do I see more abundant fruit of the spirit in my family's lives as a result of our church attendance.

    Of course, your selection of church has to be more than a social decision, but a spiritual one. If you church is not feeding you what you need to grow spiritually, then you need to either find a church that is, or ask God to help you figure out what's wrong in your life that is preventing you from growing. I've left churches in the past, and will probably find myself doing that again some day as my life isn't over until God decides it is. Let it be because God leads us to where He wants us to be, and not because we allowed the pride of life to get in our way and we leave because our feelings were hurt or we don't like hearing the pastor speak the truth of God's word in our lives.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment