A Prayer of Comparisons

God is awesome, I think most of us agree with that.  We are not awesome, getting past the facade of humility, few of us actually agree with that.

 

While we all have prayed to God and have praised Him and asked for guidance, health, wisdom, and the list goes on, how many of us have ever prayed a prayer of comparisons.  To me, this is not a prayer to compete with God, it is easy to figure who would win that one. But a prayer of reminder, to us, of how perfect He is, and how anything but perfect we are.

 

It is not a prayer to guilt us into anything, but instead, a prayer of acknowledgment of His majesty and perfect love.

 

 

Father in Heaven, give me the wisdom and the faith to believe from the depths of my heart, everything I say in this prayer. And, by your grace Lord, give me the courage to proclaim publicly You and Your truth from the lowest valleys to the highest mountaintop, with no shame and with no fear.

Dear God, the relationship between You and me is unique unto all creation. That relationship I believe in, but it is difficult to understand.

 

You, Lord, are omniscient, all-knowing from before time began.  You have always known what is in my future by each second of every day.

I, on the other hand, don’t even know what I am eating for lunch today.

 

You, Father, are omnipresent. You are everywhere in all of creation at the same time. You exist outside of time and space.

I must live my life within the laws of physics and thermodynamics, both of which You created. I don’t even understand the limits of my boundaries.

 

You, Father, are immutable.  You are the same now as You were before creation and the same as you will be for eternity's future.

My moods, likes, dislikes, attitudes etc. depend on whether or not I slept well, my health, my wealth and the outside influences that bombard me day by day.

 

You, Lord, are holy. You are perfect in your holiness. Saints of old have recognized Your perfection in Your holiness.

I sometimes struggle with even understanding the meaning of holiness as life presses in on me.

 

Because You are perfectly holy, You are perfectly righteous. You demonstrate Your righteousness whenever you reveal yourself to mankind, i.e. Abraham, Joshua, Jacob, Job, and many others.

I have only the righteousness that you have, through grace and mercy, allowed me to have. My righteousness comes only through the sacrifice of Jesus Christ.

 

Heavenly Father, your attributes are innumerable.  I have mentioned only a few.  I can only comprehend a small portion of Your greatness.

You are perfect in all Your ways.  My sins are many, but my faith and Your grace allow me a cloak of righteousness and allows my name to be written in your Book of Life.

May I bring honor and glory to You wherever I go.

Amen


Don't forget to get your copy of Small Steps to Understanding a Big Gospel @Shinealightpress.com, Amazon, or Barnes & Noble. I even have a few copies left that I can send you, just leave me a message in the comments below, or email me at mhobbssr@yahoo.com and I'll tell you how to make that happen.

This little book is a clearly written step-by-step guide to exactly what the gospel message looks like.  If you have ever had any questions, or know of anyone that has questions about God's plan for us, this is the book you want to read.

Comments